R. macranda coloration

> I checked with another friend of mine who grows aquarium plants outdoors
> during the summer, and he has had exactly the same experience with the
> plant.  In both cases, the original stock was bright magenta when it was
> placed outdoors.  This certainly doesn't seem like a case of the red
> pigment protecting the plant from bright light.

In my experience, R. macranda's color is heavily dependent on the iron
content of the water.  If I get behind in my Duplaplant drops, my macranda
quickly starts developing green growth as opposed to it's more attractive
red/magenta coloration.  R. macranda and L. repens are both my indicators
for how effective my iron dosing is.  I rarely have to perform iron tests
anymore.

Mike