cool and warm whites

On the subject of light someone once told me to use a mix of cool white and
warm white bulbs.  He didn't know why this worked but he said it worked for
him.  He also said that I should use equal numbers of cool and warm whites.
(I.e. if you have four bulbs, 2 should be cold, 2 warm).  Does anyone have
any explanation of the reported effectiveness of this method.  One
attractive aspect is the cost effectiveness of changing the bulbs more
frequently to ensure high intensity.  What is the spectrum of cool whites
and warm whites?.

David Brooks