Re: Re: Pennies

> Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 15:17:19 -0400
> From: Beverly Erlebacher <bae at cs_toronto.edu>
> Subject: Re: Penny for your thoughts
>
> > Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 12:11:17 -0700
> > From: DOUGLAS HEROLD <dherold at ctcentral_com>
> >
> > I recently purchased some pond penny, which I have assumed is Lysimachia
> > nummularia. In trying to find out more about this plant in APD and
> > elsewhere on the net, I have found several references to a terrestrial,
> > flowering pond penny, also L. nummularia. Does anyone know if this is
> > the
> > same plant, a variety of the same plant, or a completely different
> > species? (The plant in my aquarium does not look as if it would survive
> > out of water, but then, it hasn't grown to the surface yet.) Just
> > curious. :/
>
> It's the same species, immersed and emersed forms, although there may have
> been some selection for forms that do best in tropical aquaria.  Ditto
> for Lobelia cardinalis which is a streamside plant, native from Florida
> to Quebec, and often planted in not-particularly-wet gardens.  I suspect
> aquarium forms are from the southern part of the range, but I could certainly
> be wrong.
>
> Btw, there's a yellow-leaved cultivar of L. nummularia.  I've seen it in
> plant nurseries but not in aquaria yet.
>
> L. nummularia is often called moneywort as a garden plant.  It can be
> quite a spreader, too.  It has pretty yellow flowers.
>
> Beverly Erlebacher
> Toronto, Ontario Canada

Thanks for the illumination, Beverly. Frankly, I was getting a little
 bleary-eyed; pond penny also goes by Lloydiella, creeping penny and
 creeping jenny while the land version is sometimes called loose strife.
 (sp?). I'm hoping my plants won't become the yellow-leaved variety. :\

Doug
in New Haven, where Danny is sputtering out