Re: Pictures with a Camcorder

The device in question is actually called a Snappy by Play (www.play.com)
it works well for me.  The problem you will have is that VHS camcorders are
designed to display to a TV which is very low res.  An *mm or better yet
High8 will capture very nice pictures.  All my pictures I have on both my
sites are captured with an 8mm camcorder and they look better than most
other pictures on the net if I do say so myself.  You can see examples of
them at http://www.aquatics.net and  http://www.riebesell.net/aquaria also
if you want the run down on how I shoot my pictures see
http://www.riebesell.net/aquaria/howtopics.shtml

I have since changed from my snappy (which connects directly into your
parallel port) to a new video card by ATI Technologies call the All-In-One.
 You can see details of this card at
http://www.atitech.ca/graphics/aiw/aiw.html
This card not only has the built in video capture but it allows input from
almost any video source and output to almost all video sources.  It also
has a built in TV tuner that is the best I have ever seen.  It runs about
$300.  Let me know if you want one as I have several of these myself.

D. J. Riebesell

>>     I have a VHS camcorder and heard that it's possible to convert images
>>     into binary format for computers. Anybody know how that works? Also
>>     curious about how to convert regular photos to digital format. You
>>     know, the Krib could use a lot more nice pictures of many kinds of
>>     plants. I don't know if there's lots of room on the disk or not; Erik?
>>
>There are two methods of storage for video information; baseband or
>compressed.  Your camcorder is generating 30 individual pictures each
>second; each has a size of 640 by 480 pixels.  For 24 bit color, this is
>almost one megabyte of digital information per picture.  That's 30 MByte
>per second for digitizing a TV signal.
>
>This information can be processed by the computer to reduce the amount of
>digital information.  Most of a picture is redundant and a motion picture
>is even more so.  The process for reducing the information is called
>compression.  The most common algorithms are MPEG for motion video and JPEG
>for still pictures.  For digitizing a camcorder, you need a "video capture
>card".  You can find these at computer outlets.  They range from a couple
>of hundred bucks to a couple of thousand.  Check out the "Snapper".

C     O     N     S     U     L     T     I     N    G

   D. J. Riebesell                  DJ at Riebesell_Net
               HTTP://WWW.Riebesell.Net