substrate heating

Hi fellow aqua farmers,

About substrate heating, I finally have the time to try substrate
heating.  I know there is a lot of talk still about this, so I thought
I'd ask some Qs about it.

1.  Would a heating pad, like the type one puts under an aquarium for
reptiles effectively create convection currents?  My sources say no.

2.  Could someone gauge (roughly) the average cost to use heating coils
as substrate heating?

3.  Where could I find some articles about DIY substrate heating?

4.  What are its general effects on fish and plants (I know its supposed
to speed up chemical reactions in the substrate -- but is there a
notable difference in growth)?

thanks in advance,
healer