Re: Riccia

The current enthusiasm for Riccia attached to substrate reminds me to make
a couple of observations .

Firstly I saw the concept of anchored bunches described in "Exotic Aquarium
Fishes" written by W.T. Innes way back in ?1935 (various editions.are
available since) under the section on floating plants.

Secondly the phenomenon occurs in nature, the small clumps of Riccia float
down small cascades and stick between rocks and grow to beautiful spreading
green cushions with the water flowing over the top. I have only seen it
doing so where the water is moving.

Mr. Amano is obviously a keen observer of aquatic nature and it seems
likely to me both gentlemen have seen this aspect of it's habit.

Bruce Hansen