Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #842

Aquatic Plants Digest wrote:

> Aquatic Plants Digest     Saturday, July 19 1997     Volume 02 : Number 842
>
> In this issue:
>
>         Re: Farowellas vs. Peckoltias
>         Riccia on wood
>         Re: Calcium Requirements
>         Luvskribs's snail
>         Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #840
>         (no subject)
>         Iron
>
> See the end of the digest for information on subscribing to the
> Aquatic Plants mailing list and on how to retrieve back issues.

> Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 13:12:53 -0700
> From: Shawn Young <young at mda_ca>
> Subject: Re: Farowellas vs. Peckoltias
>
> Hey all,
>
> I originally sent this directly to healer, but thought I'd shoot it along
> here for general info (general criticism? :-), since it _is_ related to
> planted tanks, and getting rid of any algae in them.
>
> Cheers...
>
> - ----- Begin Included Message -----
>
> >From young Fri Jul 18 10:40:58 1997
> Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 10:40:51 -0700
> From: Shawn Young <young>
> To: healer at global_california.com
> Subject: Re: Farowellas vs. Peckoltias
> Cc: young
>
> Hi there,
>
> I keep both farlowellas (4 of them; 3 different sp.) and a peckoltia
> (pulcher?), in the same 55g tank.
>
> I have had good experience with both, but that is not the case with e.g. my
> father, and a few others who tried keeping farlows when they were new to
> aquaria.
>
> Farlowellas are notoriously finicky and sensitive, but they will latch onto
> anything, including roots, leaves, glass. Then they stay put for significant
> periods of time... Primary upside to them is that they do not harm plants
> (and they are cool to look at:-)
>
> (N.B. By finicky, I mean wrt water conditions and any "major" changes to
> their environment.)
>
> Peckoltias, on the other hand, will rarely be seen on glass or leaves, if
> they are given a decent sized root. Since the inclusion of a root, or some
> wood at any rate, is wanted for a complete diet and proper digestion by
> many of the loricaridae (incl. farlows and peckoltias), you will likely
> find that the peckoltias will make such their home and never stray far, so
> long as algae grows on the root. Then again, some peckoltias are partial to
> certain plants. If they happen to find one of your plant species a delicacy,
> be prepared to have it gnawed off in a very beaver-like fashion.
>
> As an alternative, some types of ancistrus (bushy nose plecos) are supposed
> to be very good, relatively hardy, and they "do windows". They also stay
> fairly small. Some are quite favourable to look upon, as well. There is some
> talk that certain of them will munch on certain plants, however.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Shawn
>
> - ----- End Included Message -----
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 13:15:19 PDT
> [...]
Roxanne,  I am the guy that you got the Riccia from.  To tell the truth,
I have never seen Riccia attached to any solid surface.  In fact the
only thing that I have seen it attached to is the algae on the face of a
waterfall that I maintain.  It is quite beautiful against the dark green
of the algae.  The plants that you got from me were grown floating at
the top of a 50 Gal. aquarium.  From time to time, if the clumps become
dense enough, I weigh one down with a stone or marble and then let it
grow into a ball.  Eventually, however, it invariably floats and form
clusters at the surface, as you have seen.  By the way, did you ever
I.D. that Chara or the gelatinous spheres that I sent along with the
Riccia?  David Curtright, FFF.