need advice

I have posted this on some of the aquaria newsgroups with minimal (read 2)
fishkeeper but only with african ciclids  (Yum Yum we like to dig up and eat
plants). Plants are a new concept for me in a tank.

I am planning a 20H plant tank (mabey adding a few tetras for color) and
have at my disposal an Eheim 2211 and an Eheim 2213 canister filter.  I was
planning on them both coming through a sponge prefilter (tetra Phas II
unless someone advises me otherwise)   I was considering running one with
some sort of Bioballs and the other with Floss,carbon, and possibly chemi
pure.  I was planning then on just having the water return through a
biowheel, but I have read here recently that this causes the CO2
concentrations to go down. I am planning on trying a DIY CO2 generator.  What
does everyone else use for their filter return?
Should I just have a tube ending at water level?  Am I committing overkill
with my filtration?    I know the plants will help to keep the water clean
but I cant stand cloudy water with suspended particles.

For lighting I am planning on 2 strip flourescent lights.  What do y'all
(yes I'm from Texas) think the best bulbs are for a plant tank?   I am
planning on the plants being mostly Anubias.

What about substrate? I was planning on using a mixture of fine sharp sand
blasting sand (grain diam 1-2mm) mixed with seachem's Flourite. Is this a
decent mixture? Should I add DuplaRit G or DuplaRit K to the substrate?
What do y'all feel is a good substrate?

I need a bit of advice.

Thanks,
Darin