Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #835

Aquatic Plants Digest wrote:

> Aquatic Plants Digest      Tuesday, July 15 1997      Volume 02 : Number 835
>
> In this issue:
>
>         Re: LOTS OF QUESTIONS!
>         I apologise
>         Re: Substrate Heating
>         pictures of Egyptian lotus needed
>
> See the end of the digest for information on subscribing to the
> Aquatic Plants mailing list and on how to retrieve back issues.

> Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 04:28:02 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Michael W McGrath <mcgrath at citilink_com>
> Subject: Re: LOTS OF QUESTIONS!
>
> In responce to the question about substrate for planted tanks.
> I personally recommend a clay substrate product, like 'Substrate Gold'.
> For about 10 bucks I had more then enough for a 30 gallon tank, top it
> with a thin layer of fine sand, and 3 inchs of gravel, and wham, nutrient
> rich substrate. Now thi is a local product to Minnesota, specifically
> marketed for fish tanks. I dunno if there are other brands like this, but
> I would imagine so. Anys if you goto a good shop, talk to a local
> fish club, they should be able to lead you in the right direction.
> Mike
>
> +---------------------------+
> |     Michael W. McGrath    |
> |    mcgrath at citilink_com   |
> | www.citilink.com/~mcgrath |
> +---------------------------+
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 10:37:47 -0400
> From: DS9Freak <DS9Freak at sover_net>
> Subject: I apologise
>
> I apologise for quoting the entire APD in my reply. I wasn't sure how it
> worked.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 12:53:16 -0400
> From: Karsten Klein <kklein at uceng_uc.edu>
> Subject: Re: Substrate Heating
>
> >> Silicon:           1.57
> >> Steel:             0.97
> >> Stainless Steel:   0.329
> >> Iron:              0.803
>
> > Be careful here!  This value for silicon appears to be for elemental
> > silicon (the stuff that transistors are made of) not for silicone
> > rubber (the stuff that tubing is made from).
>
> Roger, you're right (and all the other reply's I've seen too).
> It was my mistake, the actual values I gave are true, but the
> value for Silicon does not quite apply for the tubing. Sorry
> about that. Does anyone know how good the Silicon tubing conducts
> heat? This substrate heating is an interesting topic and if there
> would be an inexpensive (and safe) way to do it -  I would
> like to give it a try.
>
> Regards,
> Karsten.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 12:32:52 -0500
> From: Cynthia S Powers <cyn at mail_metronet.com>
> Subject: pictures of Egyptian lotus needed
>
> Anyone?

The "Blue Lotus" of the Nile is a phalacy.  What they were really
referring to were two spp of tropical Nymphaeas, N cearulea and N.
nouchali, both of which are blue.  There is a sp of tropical lily called
N. lotos, which is a white night blooming sp.  Many people confuse Lotus
with Water Lilies.  Lotusare the ones with their leaves held well above
the water, while tropical Nymphaeas keep their leaves on the water and
the flowers above it.  So if you want a blue Lotus, you'll have to copy
somebody else's incorrect picture or dream one up for yourself, because
you'll never find a picture of one in the flesh.