Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #837

> Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 17:49:51 +0800 (HKT)
> From: Ricky Wai Wah Leung <kfrickie at HK_Super.NET>
> Subject: Is it possible
>
> My question is, based on the calculation, is it possible to produced
> high dissolved amount of CO2(18mg/l)  with simply adding CaCO3 and pH adjustmentnt
> ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rickie

Dissolving CaCO3 would increase your buffer and your pH.  If you then
added an acid to lower your pH, then the added buffer would be converted
to CO2 and you would end up with a *lot* of calcium salts (general
hardness) in your water.  Unless you added CaCO3 and acid on a continuous
basis the procedure would only get you a burst of CO2.

It would be far easier (and safer for everything involved) to just add
CO2.

Roger Miller