Re: Pruning

One other factor.

>            1.  Pull out individual stem; cut a new length; discard
> root-bearing part; replant top part.  This will result in disturbing
> substrate ...

In this case, I consider "disturbing the substrate" a good thing.  It
keeps the area around the roots from becoming too nutrient poor by
mixing the substrate a little and allows any toxic buildup
(alleaochemicals, whatever) to be released.

Of course, people with a carefully assembled 5 or 6 layer substrate
may not want this mixing to take place.

> ... and is a lot of work.

"A lot of work"?  Hey, it's a hobby!  <g>

George in Really, Really Sunny Colorado