Re: trimming techniques

> trimming techniques

>    * To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com (Aquatic Plants Digest)
>    * Subject: trimming techniques
>    * From: Roxanne Bittman <rbittman at kirk_dfg.ca.gov>
>    * Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 14:20:19 PDT

> Several people have asked a similar question to the following, but, as far
> as I have read, noone has (dared?) to answer it.
>
> The question involves the best technique that people have discovered for
> trimming aquatic plants in aquaria.  With the excellent conditions we
> provide these plants, their growth is nothing short of incredible.
> Sometimes I feel the need to trim things like Rotala indica or Micranthemum
> micranthemoides twice per week.
>
> For stem plants, like Rotala indica, R. wallichii, Hygrophila stricta,
> etc., which is best?:
>            1.  Pull out individual stem; cut a new length; discard
> root-bearing part; replant top part.  This will result in disturbing
> substrate and is a lot of work.
>            2.  Hair cut method:  take scissors and cut midway down stem and
> allow to regrow.  Plants will become bushy from cut-point this way.
>            3.  Cut stem near base; leave rooted part in substrate and
> replant cut stem.  This sounds good in theory, but with the mass of roots
> at the base of the plants, it is not that practical to replant the cut
> stems.  Also, over time, this will result in a much denser stand of the
> plant since the cut, rooted part will regrow.
>
>            Comments?  Thanks,
>
>  Roxanne Bittman
>
> --
> Please note new email address:
> Roxanne Bittman, Botanist                    Natural Diversity Database
> Phone: (916) 323-8970                 __o    CA Dept of Fish and Game
> Fax:   (916) 324-0475               _ \<_    1220 S St
> Internet rbittman at kirk_dfg.ca.gov  ( )/( )   Sacramento, CA 95814

>         o Date
>         o Thread

I'm impartial to technique 2.  Mostly because I use and love that I get
extra plants for free.  Plus you get a more dense appearance as you do
this.

Method 1 is used with elodea, bacopa, ludwigia, cabomba, and other
similar plants.  They use technique this supposedly because it is
assumed that these plants do not produce a large root network, so the
disturbance to the substrate is minimal.

However, I use technique 2 for all my plants except bulbs plants (like
my Mad Lace plant).

Good luck,
healer