Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #830

> <<  was just sitting around looking at my fish tank and thought of a way to
>  do cheap substrate heating.  How about taking some silicon air line and
>  have that in the substrate, then hook up a small (really small) powerhead
>  or something to circulate water, and wrap some of the air line around our
>  so many flourcent light balasts.  We would be able to heat the substrate
>  and cool the balast at the same time!  All this for a fraction of the cost
>  of a substrate heating device.
>   >>
> That sounds like a neat idea, but wouldn't the ballasts get hot enough to
> melt the silicone?

  Would it not be a better idea to us a small power head with some larger diameter tubing than air-line and some stailess around the balast?
 What about using and undergravel filter system by sealing up all the slots or holes in the plates depending on what plates you use it should be easy to seal them up, once done you just use the power ehad to circulate the tank water through the plates.