re: APD 821

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 1997 16:34:02 -0400
From: "K & A, P.A." <kapa at netrunner_net>
To: Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com
Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #821

> Hi Steve and Paul:

> Steve Pushak wrote, July 7:
>
> >.....I have some questions:
> >
> >     Are the products of the biogenic decalcification (or the agents
> which
> >     are responsible for that chemical acitivity) actually liberating
> CO2
> >     from the organic acids or organic materials from the peat?
>
> >     Can aquatic plants meet carbon or CO2 requirements from peat?

IMHO, biogenic decalcification has nothing to do with the release of CO2
from the substrate.  Generally, most of the CO2 released from substrates
like peat and other rich materials is the result of bacterial
oxidation.  Interestingly enough, the plants provide the oxygen for
these colonies of bacteria via their roots.  It is a wonderful symbiotic
relationship.

There was an experiment in a lake where the water was somehow devoid of
CO2 (I can't remember).  It was determined that the plant colony in the
lake was getting 100% of its carbon requirement from the substrate.

Of course, the above would only apply to hydrophytes that are rooted.

Cheers,

Art Giacosa
Miami, Florida