Re: bluegreen algae control

Cyanobacteria can fix nitrogen.  In a nitrogen-limited environment
they can outcompete green algae and higher plants.  Fertilizing with
a nitrogen source lets the other plants compete, and ideally draw
down the supply of other nutrients like phosphate to limit the CBs.

Don't try this without testing your current N levels first...

I think CBs can also perform a primitive form of photosynthesis which
fixes carbon without releasing oxygen, but I can't remember the details.
Very ancient and strange critters!