Cape Fear Spatterdock

Here is a somewhat odd question-does anyone grow Cape Fear Spatterdocks?
I have tried without too much success. I did grow one about 20 years ago
and I remember back then reading somewhere (and I can't remember where)
that you should dip the cut end in beeswax, I guess to seal it from rot.
I remember I did back then and had pretty good luck with the spatterdock,
until the whole tank crashed from an algae infestation.  Anyway, the ones
I ordered a couple of months ago died and I reordered them and this time
did the beeswax thing. Is this neccessary? is anyone growing them
successfully without doing this?

	Gerry in Ann Arbor,
 	Where we were just missed by a storm that knocked the hell out of
        Detroit last night.