Re: Substrate, CO2!

     Hello Andy,

     I have been using the Kelly substrate in my 90 gal for a year and a
     half now, with great success.

     I suspect you may be able to get some loamy topsoil from a nursery, or
     perhaps from a landscaper, esp one that sells sod.  I opted not to dig
     a hole in my backyard, so I got a 40 pound sack of loamy topsoil for
     $0.99, here in Austin.  You are correct that most bagged potting soils
     are mostly organic--peat, shredded tree bark, or manure, although some
     people use these materials with great success.

     Hoffmanns' 10 quarts for <$3 is a good price.  If you can, select the
     verm with the smallest grain size--they usually are bagged with a
     clear "window" so you can see the grains.  A smaller grain results in
     greater contact with the plant roots, and better nutrient uptake.  I
     believe the larger grains provide better drainage, but this is not
     relevant to an aquarium.  I got verm with grains about 1-2 mm
     diameter.

     A dry quart is slightly larger than a liquid quart--a dry quart is
     1101 cubic centimeters, while a liquid quart is 946, i.e., a liquid
     quart=0.859 dry quarts.  Don't ask me why.

     A wooden diffuser would work, but you won't get the fine bubbles like
     you would in a saltwater aquarium.  It has to do with surface tension,
     and because of all the dissolved salts in sea water you can make finer
     bubbles.  This is why a protein skimmer doesn't work very well in
     freshwater--the bubbles just aren't fine enough.

     You will get better CO2 dissolution if you bubble the CO2 into an
     inverted bell, or a canister filter, or any of the other designs that
     are available.  I use the canister filter method.

     Hope this helps.

     Mark