Re: Lighting fixtures/iron supplement

Jason wrote:

>I just recently set up a 25 gallon plant tank.  For the lighting I plan
>to use a Triton 24", Chroma 50 or 75 (which is better? - 50 or 75), and,
>if I have room, a Gro-Lux (do they make T-8 versions of the Chroma or
>Gro-Lux?).  The only problem is I simply cannot find a fixture to house
>these lights.  All the pet stores I go to have hoods that only hold one
>tube (it gets frustrating after asking about 6 pet stores). Would a
>lighting store have a fixture that would be workable for an aquarium
>top?  How much would a two tube fixture cost?  Three tube?

I've seen many pet stores in our area (Cincinnati/Ohio)
here which sell light hoods for 2 light strips. Those are T-8
versions and I was not able to get a T8 Chroma 50. The lighting
supply store people told me I would not be able to use a T-12 bulb
in the T-8 fixture. But I just did it and it works - no problems
at all (have it now since 2 or 3 months). If your pet stores do not
have the double hoods in stock, they should be at least able to order
them. In addition to the better light quality for the plants, I think
the Aquarium looks much better after changing from the original
bulbs to the Chroma 50.

>iron supplement:
>Can anyone recommend a good source of Fe?  I tried the Security Iron
>plus Chelate that Jim Kelly recommended but it was a powder and clouded
>the water in my 10 gallon.  I assume that the iron must be chelated?
>I saw a liquid fertilizer containing 2.5% fully chelated iron and 2.5%
>chelated zinc.  There is nothing else in the solution.  Would this be
>good?  How much should I use and at what time interval?

I am using 2 different iron supplements: both liquid fertilizer,
one is from Kent and the other one is made by Dupla. I also would be
interested in the opinion of other people about this stuff.

--
Regards,

Karsten Klein.
kklein at uceng_uc.edu