Re: Dupla prices

> Date: Sat, 21 Jun 97 07:38:24 -0700
> From: gomberg at wcf_com
>
> > Now you know why there is such a love hate relationship with Dupla
> >on the APD.  Great stuff, but prices that just astound!
>
> Now my question is this.  Are the prices equally astounding in DE?
> Germans are pretty sensible generally and I doubt they would fall for
> such bs.

I checked with a friend in Germany some years ago, and at that time
with the exchange rate, Dupla stuff cost about 10% MORE in Germany
than it did here.

It's not BS.  They are well designed and well built products.  Some
people appreciate a quality product and will pay a premium for it.
Some people want to spend the least they can on anything. Hence, there
is room in the marketplace for Chevys and Mercedes.

> Should we be designing and making our own here?

I think Sandpoint tried that and look where they are now.  Or look
where they aren't, as the case may be.

> I know I would like a plastic cylinder that had an airstone at the
> bottom and had a sealed top with an outlet tube to run surplus gas
> into the powerhead!  I don't think anyone makes that, and it should be
> cheap to make.

That pretty much describes the Tetra CO2 bells minus the airstone.
But, like Sandpoint products, they are pretty hard to find these days.

BTW, if you want to see "expensive", price out the blown glass
aquarium accessories that Amano sells through ADA.

George "I [heart] My Dupla Stuff"