Dupla bubble counter, aluminum

I agree that Dupla reactors and bubble counters are expensive but very
effective products.  However, I have three bubble counters and they all
have leaky check valves.  I have had to add other valves in series to
prevent leaking.

Aluminum.  Back in the late 40's they were building aquariums with
aluminum frames.  Big advantage was they wouldn't rust.  Of course they
wouldn't because rust is iron oxide and it is a difficult process to get
aluminum to turn into iron.  At any rate, the aluminum doesn't "rust" but
like iron it does oxidize.  A metallurgist could give a better answer to
this but if I am not mistaken aluminum is rather unique in that it will
react with either acids or bases.  In the case of aluminum aquarium
frames the stuff effectively rotted.  Even anodized aluminum has limited
potential around aquariums.  Bottom line - avoid aluminum where it will
be in contact with water.

--Earle Hamilton