Mycobacterium marinum...

I've "contracted" mycobacterium marinum when I was younger.  I had burnt
 my finger and later the area became infected.  Well, silly me, I stuck
my infected finger (which had become an open sore to drain the fluid)
several times in an aquarium and later on the whole knuckle area grew
several "nodules" and that wouldn't heal - we tried neosporin and a
other ointments.  The nodules had fluid in them, but after draining
them, they still wouldn't heal - even years later.  Later on, I ended up
going to a doctor, had the growths surgically removed, and when the
biopsy report came back, the surgeon told me it appeared to be a form of
Tuberculosis.  So, now I am careful whenever I have cuts on any part of
my hands or arms to stick the other arm into the aquarium and I am
particularly careful about throughly washing my hands and arms after I
stick them into the tank - I certainly don't want to go through all of
this again!  I have the scars on my finger to remind me!

Sorry to blab on...
--
Walter P. Wu
Office:	Wuw at mail01_adm.duke.edu