Re:pH controllers

>Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 16:12:33 -0500
>From: Steve Benz <steveb at dazel_com>
>To: Aquatic Plants Digest <Aquatic-Plants-Owner at actwin_com>
>Subject: Re: CO2 Controllers

 Big snip

>But does anybody have any evidence to suggest that Ph controllers
>are anything more than overkill?
>
>                                        - Steve

Well, Steve, in my opinion, a controller's worth depends on the kind of
person you are. For me, it's worth it's weight in gold and I wouldn't have
set-up injected CO2 without one. I would worry too much about something
going wrong (especially with a DIY put-together needle valve system) and
overdosing my fish with CO2. The controller is an extra fail-safe.

In praise of controllers I will say that I set up my system with
controller, turned it on, set the bubble rate and have not had to mess with
it since (bit more than 1 year). I do have very soft water and so have to
get the KH/GH up but as long as I do that the controller keeps the CO2
coming in the right amount to keep the pH between 6.8 and 7.03.

I have a friend who happily fiddles with his needle valve and swears
controllers are a waste of money (even has a phobia about them) but that's
not me!

One last point, I don't know why people think $300 - $400 is so much for
something to do with this hobby. It's not much in the scheme of things and
is a one time expense that immediately gives peace of mind. Lot's of people
will pay that for one evening out or for some gadget on their car. In case
I get lots of nasty messages about this comment I am not a wealthy person.
But I am almost 51 years old and have figured out that it's *just* money
and if one must work 5 days a week for it, it might as well make you happy.
:)

Olga
in Vancouver