Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #776

>attractive.  Then, I read somewhere that if you have green spots on your
>driftwood, it has some copper on it.  I asked a guy at

In my opinion, the very best treatement for driftwood is
boiling it in salt water, perhaps 2-3 tablespoons of table
salt per gallon of water. It is best to boil it for 2-3 hours,
so that salt water can penetrate deep in the wood, removing air bubbles and
curing it. Driftwood thus processed has never developed rot or other bad
signs.
Boiling will also eliminate lots of soluble pollutants, if
these were present in the wood. Also, you may want to
eliminate the suspicious green spots from the driftwood,
using sandpaper or a sharp knife...