Re: CO2 Controllers (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 16:12:33 -0500
From: Steve Benz <steveb at dazel_com>
To: Aquatic Plants Digest <Aquatic-Plants-Owner at actwin_com>
Subject: Re: CO2 Controllers

When I first started with CO2 I had plans to build the DIY model,
but after a few months I started to notice that my Ph fluctuations
are less than .4 -- that is to say, I can't read the color-
comparison charts worth a damn and .4 is about as close as
I can reasonably be expected to get and the Ph in the morning
looks the same as the Ph in the evening.

A Ph swing of .4 in a 24hr period is, I think, insignifigant.
Certainly fish could experience such a change by swimming from
one area of a pond to another, or in a rainstorm, etc.

All this makes me think that the stock advice we ought to be
giving to folks is to get the CO2 equipment and blow off the
Ph controller unless they've got a powerful urge to splurge.
Of course you'd want to tell folks about continuous-indicator
CO2 testkits (like Dupla's) and suggest they harden the water
if it's less than KH-3.

But does anybody have any evidence to suggest that Ph controllers
are anything more than overkill?

					- Steve