Substrate Questions

I'm about to setup a 120 gal. planted Discus tank and could use some suggestions regarding substrate. I've read the articles on the Krib, but some of those I found were 3 years old. During my readings I came to the conclusion that this hobby has gained a great deal of knowledge over the past few years and I want to make certain that I make my decision based upon current knowledge/thinking.

I plan to use #1 or #2 gravel and will use Dupla's DuplaRit G (laterite). My question regards the use of peat moss as a substrate additive. I read some articles that discuss the advantages of using peat moss in the substrate and others that mention concern regarding the peat becoming aerobic. My initial interest regarding peat stems from my use of it as a filtering agent. I thought that if I could use it in the substrate, filtering may become a cleaner job. However, I do not want to risk losing hundreds of dollars of fish because the substrate poisoned the tank.

I was considering layering (bottom to top) the following:
1/2 inch to 1 inch of gravel
1/2 inch to 1 inch of peat
1/2 inch to 1 inch of gravel
laterite (any reason why I shouldn't use granular as opposed to balls?)
top layer of gravel - about 1 to 1.5 inches

Thanks in advance for any advice. Please feel free to email me directly.

Best Regards,
John Hawkins
Tampa, Florida
jhawkins at ix_netcom.com