Re: Plant ID

Tim Ayers wrote, June 11:

>I just bought a plant I hope someone will identify for me. It was
>called "Dwarf Onion Plant." It looks like the green onions you buy at
>the grocery store, same size and shape. The bulbs are 1-2 cm in
>diameter, the leaves/stems are about 30 cm long and 0.5 cm in diameter
>with a circular/elliptical cross-section. My books only list Crinum
>thaianum and C. natans and it definitely doesn't look like either of
>those.

Oh Oh! It may *be* one of the green onions you buy at the grocery store.
Crinum has flat, strap-like leaves.  Let us know if it grows underwater.  I
have seen a lot of terrestrial plants for sale as aquatic plants, including
violets, ground pines (lycopodium), baby palm trees, and just plain
backyard weeds!

Paul Krombholz                  Tougaloo College, Tougaloo, MS  39174, in
cool Jackson, Mississippi where we are beginning to dry out from recent
heavy rains.