Re: filter intake

Jim Viscosi asked....

>Does anyone have any ideas on how to prevent the intake tube of my =
>Fluval canister from constantly pulling in plants, and loose leaves?  =
>The plants grow so quickly that they have taken over the entire tank and =
>there isn't room anywhere to put the intake where it will not be smack =
>dab in the middle of plants.   I tried adding a powerhead for extra =
>water circulation as the top of my water is stagnant and has developed a =
>green film, but the powerhead also gets clogged within a matter of a day =
>or two, and there appears no way to put a prefilter on it.  It's a pro-3 =
>by Hagen.

I ran into the same difficulty with respect to my powerhead becoming
clogged with debris. I use the Hagen Pro 4 for circulation in my 180
gallon and it does a fine job. To avoid the problem you've described,
I bought the recommended attachment by Hagen called the AquaClear Quick
Filter and used as media the foam sleeve insert that comes with the
Hagen Internal Fluval 3. It must be rinsed out weekly.

--
Dave Whittaker
ac554 at FreeNet_Carleton.ca