CO2 regulator malfunction?

I have a 5lb canister/regulator/needle valve setup for my tank. In the last
couple of weeks, I've noticed on three occasions (including this morning)
that both the dials on the regulator read zero, and no CO2 is flowing into
the tank. The problem has fixed itself within hours on the first two
occasions, so I assume it will this time as well. Obviously something is not
right, and I know it's not low pressure in the canister (I put in a fresh one
on the 30th, and the previous canister still had plenty of gas left in it
when it was removed). Could something be intermittently clogging the
regulator? If so is there any way to fix the problem?

Thanks for any help,

Matt