Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #740

>>      Hi all, I've recently noticed that all the new leaves on my sword
>>plants have brown veins.  Everything else seems OK.  This has happened
>>before when I had just setup the tank.  What type of deficiency might
>>this be?
>This brown or reddish-brown coloration on the veins of new leaves isn't a
>deficiency symptom at all.  It is a sign of good health and rapid growth.
>
>Paul Krombholz                  Tougaloo College, Tougaloo, MS  39174,

	That's interesting.  What gives the veins that color?  When I
first set up the tank, I figured it had something to do with the laterite
in the substrate, like osmosis. Personally, I find the nice bright green
colour more appealing.  Something else that I've noticed, is that the new
leaves will come out deformed, kind of crinkled int he middle.  I've never
noticed this before.  Any comments?

Jerrold
-------
"Give me 200 like minded men, and i can conquer the world;
 Give me 200 free men, and i will have 201 opinions." - Anon.