Re: Nesaea and brown veins on new sword leaves

>From: KHaggblom at aol_com
>Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 11:06:19 -0400 (EDT)
>To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
>Subject: Nesaea sp.
>
>Does anyone have any tips for growing this beautiful plant? I've found a
>great source for aquatic plants in Hackensack NJ called Reef Encounter. They
>have a ton of neat stuff, but all they could tell me about Nesaea is that it
>needs intense light and a rich susbstrate. Any help would be appreciated.
>khaggblom at aol_com

According to Kasselmann, Nesaea requires strong light and also benefits
from a nutrient-rich substrate and soft to "middle-hard", acid water.  It
should be grown in an open setting, not shaded by anything else.

>Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 12:23:32 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Jerrold Wen <alphaq at engsoc_carleton.ca>
>Subject: nutrient deficiency syndrome
>
>        Hi all, I've recently noticed that all the new leaves on my sword
>plants have brown veins.  Everything else seems OK.  This has happened
>before when I had just setup the tank.  What type of deficiency might this
>be?
................<Description of tank conditions snipped>....................

This brown or reddish-brown coloration on the veins of new leaves isn't a
deficiency symptom at all.  It is a sign of good health and rapid growth.

Paul Krombholz                  Tougaloo College, Tougaloo, MS  39174,