Necessity of Laterite?

Hello all,

In my continuing "pouring" through past posts to the digest, I have come to
question the necessity of laterite, as well as some questions concerning
fertilizers (liquid and substrate):

- Many previous posters claim great results with "simple substrate" (either
sand or gravel)... What is everyone's opinion?
- I'm debating between DuplaPlant 24 and Flourish. In my review of past
postings, I've heard nothing but good stuff about both products. Both
products are very inexpensive, considering the potency (250 ml of flourish
could treat my tank for many years; 100 mL of DuplaPlant 24 could treat my
tank for 1+ years). Which way should I go? Perhaps a little bit of both!?
- I have also heard plenty of good stuff about Flourish tablets. These
aren't "drop in" tablets, rather they are tablets that are buried in the
substrate. Perhaps if I use these instead of laterite?
- THANK YOU!

Elam

P.S. I'm sure there's more questions! :) <G>