Re: an(aerobic) substrates

I know that this is moving away from the aquaria scale of things but if
anyone is interested here it is...I work on freshwater swamp habitats in
Southeast Asia and looking at soil cores from permanently flooded forest -
it is possible to see a zone of oxidised Fe around the root hairs.  This
sometimes amounts to large areas of aerobic substrate within a very
unaerobic environment.  I have also  seen reference to some plants ie water
hyacinth being able to transfer oxygen to their root zones and rhizomes and
in this way create small pockets for aerobic degradation and nitrification.
I know this relates to quite specific environments but if this is of
interest to anyone in the group I can dig up the reference.

Tony Greer
Department of Geography
10 Kent Ridge Crescent                          Tel (65) 772 6135
National University of Singapore                FAX (65) 777 3091
Republic of Singapore 119260                    E-mail GEOAG at LEONIS_NUS.SG