Re: Cyanobacteria (more)

> Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 16:59:30 -0500
> From: Albert Salas <Aasalas at aamc_org>
>
> David:  You said, in reference to problems w/cyanobacteria<<<. . .Before
> anything else, check your nitrates and potassium, relative to your
> phosphates
> and iron.  When I started adding nitrogen and potassium to my tank. . .>>>
>
> In what form do you add the nitrogen & potassium?

I added nitrogen in the form of ammonium sulphate, and potassium in the
form of potassium chloride.  I went a bit overboard on the additions
(over the space of several months), and wound up with nitrates above 100
ppm for a while and GH above 19 (I also add calcium carbonate to the
tank), but I've gotten them back down since then.  If I were to do it
again,  I probably wouldn't rely heavily on potassium chloride, since I
think chloride is pretty readily available in most water and isn't
considered a commonly limiting nutrient.  I'd probably switch to KNO3 if
I can find it in a fertilizer shop, plus maybe continuing with the
ammonium sulphate if I need to boost N over K.

David W. Webb in muggy Richardson, TX.

I did eliminate the