RE: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #706

> ------------------------------
>
> My experience with the yeast-sugar CO2 production method is not very good.
> When I first set up such a system, it worked reasonably well, but
> subsequent batches had been problematic. The bottles of yeast-sugar would
> bubble like crazy very quickly and then die out in less than 24 hours.
> Adding baking soda and starch helped a little in that some bubbles would be
> produced after 24 hours, but the rate is so small as to be useless. Since
> yeast (according to my microbiology book) do not produce enzymes capable of
> breaking down starch, I figure that any CO2 production must be the direct
> or indirect result of contaminants ie. other unknown microorganisms in the
> bottle; not a very useful piece of information.
>
> ------------------------------

Actually, I think the problem could lie in the ingredient mix. I've used the yeast method
for my 55g tank for almost a year and each time I can easily get about 2 weeks
worth of CO2. (I live in Singapore too, so that should rule out the heat.)

The mixture : a 1.5 litre bottle, filled with water to the two-third level. 1/2 cup of
sugar, totally dissolved into the water. And 1 teaspoon of instant yeast. Leave to
settle for a couple of hours before using.

I control the output from the bottle (somewhat) by installing a adjustable airline valve.
Hook together 2 or 3 bottles and both stability and output increases.

Simple and inexpensive. Hopes this helps.

Leng Yee
	mailto:lengyee at post1_com
Jane & Leng Yee's Fish Page:
	http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/4433