re: yeast CO2

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: bob.hoesch at mail_fws.gov
Date: Thu, 15 May 97 08:08:59 -0700
To:  <Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com>
Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #709

     Don Griffes  wrote:
     "the CO2 from the bottle 'mixes' with the water many times easier than
     the 'CO2' produced from the yeast.....
     What else is the yeast putting off besides CO2?"

     The yeast is generating lots of minor byproducts, including alcohol,
     but we can ignore those. They're of interest to home-brewers.  I think
     the difference you see is because the yeast system is pushing a lot of
     air (which is mostly nitrogen) and this doesn't dissolve readily.  The
     bottled CO2 is pure and dissolves completely.

     Bob Hoesch
     Ashland, OR