Re:Dolomite

> Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 12:15:09 -0500
> From: "David Jones" <pommie at concentric_net>
> Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #697
>
> Hi all,
>         I have seen very little reference to Dolomite limestone chips. In
> horticulture they are frequently used to control a low pH situation. From
> my limited knowledge I expected them to be more valuable than their
> obscurity on this list suggests.
>         I would appreciate any comments pro/con on they are use as an aquarium
> additive.
>
> Best Wishes David in hot and sunny Houston.

Most of us use CaCO3 to control the hardness of our water.  It is easier
to measure out specific amounts, and therefore you have a tighter
control on hardness regulation.  With Dolomite or a shell, etc. you
would constantly have to measure to adjust.  With a regular maintenance
schedule, and early record keeping... determining how much CaCO3 to add
with each water change is a snap.

Cheers,

Mark
------
pearlsco at u_washington.edu
The more people I meet, the more I like my plants.