CO2 and trickle filters (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 18:04:46 -0500 (CDT)
From: Ayala at ix_netcom.com
To: Aquatic-Plants-Owner at actwin_com
Subject: CO2 and trickle filters

Wow. This group has been an amazing help to me in converting my plain old
fish 75 gallon into a beautiful, rich, planted forest. Thanks for all the
help I gained just listening.

Now I need some help that I haven't yet found an answer for. Taking the
advice of many of you, I have set up a do-it-yourself CO2 system using a
2 litre bottle, sugar, yeast and water. The question I have relates to
this and the filters that I have. My system has a 403 fluval as well as
a trickle filter with bio-balls below my tank. Inside the sump, I have a
denitrator (home built) and a fluidized bed filter. The output of the CO2
generator is conected to the RIO pump, which returns the water to the
main tank and mixes it with the CO2. The question I have is whether the
trickly filter and significant surface disturbance is completely ruining
the effects of the CO2 generator. Am I waisting my time with this?

Also, would compact florescents be a good addition to the tank?
Currently, I have 2 rows of strip florescent lights over the tank. If I
do upgrade to the 96 compact florescents, should I get one
with 2 or 4 bulbs. Again, my tank is a 75 gallon.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me with these questions.

Carlos