Re: Myths - Vallisneria

I like the idea of a thread debunking (or at least questioning) some
commonly held truths about aquatic plants.  So here's one:

Truism:

Carefully planting Vallisneria with the crown exposed is necessary if the
plant is the succeed.

My experience:

I became suspicious when the Vallisneria G. in my tank propagated naturally
and practically took over the entire tank.  Almost all of the runners were
under the gravel surface; some as deep as 3".  I guess they did not read
that chapter in Rataj and Horeman :-).

Since then, I routinely replant them with no concern about crown exposure.
They do very well in either case.

Augustine Rodriguez
Elk Mound, WI, USA