Re:Ceratopteris thalictroides

>Dionigi Maladorno wrote, Thursday, Apr. 24:

..........<snipped>................ I recently noticed that one of
>the plants has generated an emerged branch that looks quite different:
>instead of the expected broad, fringed leafs, it has thick (round
>section), narrow and pointy, almost needle-like leaves (it's hard to
>explain in writing how they look). Is there anyone that can explain to
>me what is the reason for this change? The other water sprite plants
>nearby are perfectly "normal".

These leaves are aeral leaves that are also going to produce spores.  They
are normal.  Since the plant is so easy to propagate vegitatively, there is
no need, other than scientific interest, to try to propagate the spores.

In pleasant, sunny, Jackson, Mississippi