build your own

> Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 19:19:47 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Griff1324 at aol_com
> Subject: CO2 kit
>
> I have a question for all you CO2 buffs out there!  I am just starting to
> really get into aquarium plants and so far i have been adding CO2 via yeast
> method.  I am looking to get a " more sophisticated" CO2 setup.  While I was
> at the local fish store today, i noticed they got in a Tetra CO2 complete
> system for aquariums up to 55 gal. (thats what it said on the box). The
> selling price for the system is right around $160. US (not bad..huh?)!  Well
> anyway I was wondering if any of you people out there have heard anything on
> this system?  I would apreciate ANY and ALL feed back on this system good or
> bad!  Thanks for the help!
>
> Chris Simmons
> Erie, PA
> aka...Griff1324 at aol_com

Chris,
I don't know how handy you are, but CO2 reactors are very easy to make.
I am in the process of building my own using an old protein skimmer from
a saltwater tank. I had access to a valve that I think will work and I
plan on purchasing the CO2 tank for $50.00 and $11.00 for the fill. Thus
the system will cost me about $70.00 when I'm done with the misc.
plastic connections. Buying or renting the tank is the way to go in my
area because the welding shop wouldn't take odd sized tanks for refill
and they must be tested every five years. They are actually considered
hazardous material if not properly tested.
If you would like to watch my reactor take shape, I am building web
pages that describe my tank setup start to finish and detailed info
about building the CO2 ractor. If you want the web page address email
either on the list or off. AND, give me some time to post the pages.
If you have any general questions let me know
Bill