raisning daphnia

I bought some Daphnia from DAELCO a couple of weeks ago to see if it would
clear up some green water I was culturing in  a newly setup tank at work.
The directions for culturing Daphnia warned not to use tap water as many
systems include heavy metals that kill the Daphnia.  This tank had been
set up for several weeks with some struggling echinodorus and Vallisneria
as well as some stem plant cuttings that I had added to try to compete
with the green water;  Therefore I thought the water might be sufficiently
aged to support the Daphnia.  Anyway, I put them in on a Friday and they
were all gone on Monday.  Green water;didn't make a dent.  I'm assuming,
correctly I think, that Otto's (the only fish inhabiting this tank
currently) do not eat Daphnia.  My question is how do people successfully
culture Daphia?? Would some survive to reproduce in a heavily planted
tank.  I used to use Convict Cichlid Fry as live food until I found that a
couple always find aq way to survive the first couple of weeks and
eventually turn the tables of the Pearl Gouramis.  Anyone know when the
live food news group will be back on line.  Any one know where I can get a
starter culture of Daphnia for less than the $11 you end up paying DAELCO
to send you some???

TIA

Miles Morrissey   Easthampton, MA - USA
mmorriss at sophia_smith.edu