More on Attack Apple Snails

I posted about the new apple snail eating all my plants and several people
reminded me of posts a few months ago.  It seems that while all apple
snails look alike, some eat plants and other don't.  I've had 2 non-plant
eaters before and noticed that the new fellow who LOVES snacking on plants
_eats_differently_!!!!  The good snails  :-)  slither around on their foot
and "graze" putting their mouth down and chewing as they go... rather like
a horse.  This bad snail actually uses the SIDES OF THE FOOT to hold food
still while it munches.  This snail rolled onto its side/back, partly on
the shell and partly on the very back part of the foot where the trap door
is located.  Then it curled oposite sides of the foot (imagine really short
arms)  to hold the plant up to its mouth.  It was the wierdest thing.   For
those of you who've encountered "bad" apple snails, did they eat this same
way?  Perhaps eating posture is a way to tell good and bad apple snails
apart.
Rochelle Williams
williaro at ftmcphsn-emh1_army.mil