low light foreground plants

>I would like a bit of advice on a lowlight forground plant that seems to
>spread readily.  I know it seems like a bit of a contradiction, low light,
>yet will grow rapidly enough to spread, but...

As you have already guessed, fast growth and low light do not often go
hand-in-hand.  There _is_ one fast growing option, but it is
work-intensive.  That is to tie Java Moss to stones with fishing line and
use these to form a low-lying mass of vegetation.  This can be very
attractive, but it _does_ require regular (probably every week or two)
trimming.

Otherwise, the best low light forground plants are any of the low-growing
Crypts, or Anubias barteri var. nana.  All of these will require patience
to achieve the effect you are looking for, but they are well worth the
wait.  One of the most important techniques to cultivate in aquatic
gardening is patience, so this may be a good place to start! ;-)
Karen Randall
Aquatic Gardeners Association