RE>snail attack

David Corner asked whether skunk botia and skunk loach described the same
species; the answer is yes. They appear to be closely related to the clown
loaches others have recommended for snail control. I have only one small skunk
loach, but he does a great job of cleaning out snails. When I got some new
plants once, I put half into the main tank and leftovers into a quarantine
tank which contained no fish at the time. Within a couple of weeks there was a
major "snail bloom" in the quarantine tank; snails were EVERYWHERE (yes, in
the Aquaclear filter big time). But I never saw a single one in the main tank.
Since then I've actually added some of those snails into the main tank as live
food for the loach; I never, ever see a single one even one day later, and
there are shells at the entrance to his lair. I can't rule out the blackskirt
tetras as snailivores, but clearly the loach is the main muncher. Certainly
worth a try if you need snail control!

Christine in Palo Alto, summer already