Plenums revisited/substrate heating

Hello all,
   I was thinking about adding a plenum to my next setup.  In the prior
posts I saw discussions about nutrient dosing and nitrate control.  I was
not thinking of either of them, although the nutrient idea sounds
interesting.  But I was thinking as a substrate heating alternative.  I was
thinking about placing the ballasts in the stand, centered, a few inches
bellow the tank bottom.  I would imagine this would setup some thermals in
the substrate and hopefully provide a slow current to carry the nutrients
through the gravel laterite mix.  It would also mean a sealed plenum, no
uplift tubes.  And I figiure the plenum could be seperated from the gravel
with a thin layer of sheet floss.

What do ya think???

Thanks,
Jeff