Re: PMDD Confusion

I rumaged around the Krib today to see if
I could figure out the 300ml vs 500ml
solution confusion in PMDD formulas.
Here's what I found. Looking under
"Fertilizer" "General" then "Conlins-Sears"
for their original paper, they present
the original formula as:

* 1 Tbsp (~9g) Chelated Trace Element Mix (7% Fe, 1.3% B, 2% Mn,
    0.06% Mo, 0.4% Zn, 0.1% Cu, EDTA, DTPA)
* 2 Tsp (~14g) K2SO4 (potassium sulfate)
* 1 Tsp (~6g) KNO3 (potassium nitrate)
* 2.5 Tbsp (~33g) MgSO4.7H2O (fully hydrated magnesium sulfate, aka
   epsom salts; omit if already present in trace element mix)
* 300mL distilled H2O
* 0.5mL 9M HCl (optional)

However, I kept going and under
"later information" found the following:

MORE COMMENTS REGARDING THE SEARS-CONLIN PAPER
"3. Who sold PMDD"
by Kevin Conlin <kcconlin at cae_ca>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 1996
Newsgroup: rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Tim Mullins wrote:
> A little while ago someone posted a price
> for suppling a pre-mixed PMDD for those
> of us having trouble locating ingrediets.
> Could you re-post or send me e-mail.
[PacNeil at worldnet_att.net].  I can supply people in
the Montreal area who are willing to come pick it
up.

Incidentally, I've found that the following recipe works better now
that my UV is off: 1 tbsp trace element mix, 1 tbsp epsom salts,
1 tbsp KNO3, and 2 tbsp K2SO4 in 500ml H2O.  If your nitrates are
currently on the high side, hold off on the KNO3 until they
drop to unmeasurable levels.

Kevin Conlin  Montreal, Canada  "We're Canadians.  We HAVE to be polite"
Finger as332 at freenet_carleton.ca for PGP public key.

So, it looks like this is the source of the
confusion! Once Kevin switched all the
ingredient amounts from teaspoons to tablespoons,
he upped the water level from 300 ml to 500 ml.
The great and powerful "Wizards of Canada"
have spoken.  :-)

Many thanks to Pat Bowerman, who may have more
say on this matter.
Thanks,
Tim Mullins - Pittsburgh