Re: PMDD confusion

     I want to applaud Tim for his detailed postings on PMDD.  He has
     obviously spend a lot of thought and time on this subject.  Thanks!

     >Oh, as I've pointed out,your level of Fe dosing does seem high. Where
     >have your actual Fe readings come in?

     (Tim calculated an Fe conc. of 0.64 mg/l, based on my dosage).

     I do not measure my Fe, for two reasons:

        1)  I doubt I can accurately measure iron in my aquarium, given all
     the problems others have reported with various Fe test kits.  I feel
     the error associated with the kits is too great to allow accurate (+/-
     0.1 ppm Fe) dosing of PMDD.  I just use the recommended dosage, and
     hope for the best.

        2)  My plants do not display any symptoms of too little/too much Fe
     (i.e., I get rapid growth, no chlorosis, and no hair algae).  So, I
     always thought I had the proper dosage.  I've used this amount for a
     year now.

     However, unlike Paul I have never used a UV sterilizer on my tank, so
     now I am concerned I have been overdosing with Fe.  I haven't
     experienced any problems, though.

     I do measure my NO3 (Seachem low range nitrate, with foil-packed
     reagents dated to ensure freshness), and I am confident with the
     results.  You calculated my nitrates to be 9 mg/l, assuming no uptake
     by plants.  I measure 3 ppm, which implies my plants are using about
     0.6 g of NO3 per week (based on 1.5 g of KNO3 added/week with a 10%
     water change).  Of course, this assumes no measurement error, no
     contribution by my fish, and no de-nitrification in my substrate (BAD
     assumptions!).  I have a heavily planted tank with a soil substrate,
     CO2, and good growth.  If I knew % nitrogen by plant weight, I could
     get some rough estimates of plant growth.

     Mark in soggy Austin, waiting for the approaching hailstorm.