Re:SAEs w/o a cover

     In the Aquatic Plants Digest #635, Steve mentioned that he had set his
     100 gal. aquarium up as an opened-top tank, and then later mentioned
     he had obtained some SAEs. SAEs are jumpers. Very good, very quick,
     jumpers. As I mentioned in previous posts, the only adult SAEs that I
     have lost has been from jumping.

     If you want an open-top tank, add a collar of some type, at least 6
     inches high.

     I have a shelf with 5 - 10 gal tanks, that are open-top but enclosed
     in such a way that a jumping fish cannot land anywhere but back in the
     water. When the SAEs are in these tanks, it is quite amusing to
     observe the tank hoping. Any two times you look at the tanks more than
     an hour apart, the SAEs had redistributed themselves.

     Hope this helps.
        Doug Underwood