Lighting question. . .

I have some extra 12-v mini-halogen fixtures that I've been contemplating
using on my plant tank.  I've found metal halide to look a bit stark (makes
corals look a bit bleached, to me), and prefer fluorescents (call me weird),
but I haven't tried halogen over a tank.  I've seen the spectral
distribution of halogen lighting, and it very nicely simulates sunlight,
albeit with a bit of a drop as one approaches the UV end of the spectrum, so
I'm considering doing mini-halogen, plus an actinic fluorescent.  Also, the
12-v halogen is relatively efficient (compared to 120-v halogen or
incandescent).  I haven't been able to find a reference, however, for how
many lumens I can expect from the halogen bulbs, so I'm not sure how many
I'll need. . .  True, I can jury-rig a trial, but if I expect to need, say,
10 bulbs, it may not be worth my bother, as I'd have to get more bulbs,
additional transformers, etc. . .

Any comments, advice, suggestions?  And no, I haven't figured out exactly
how I'm going to set up reflector/s just yet.  8)

                        Edziu