Re: Gymnocoronis spilanthoides

In a message dated 4/8/97 15:22:15, you wrote:

<<I have to agree that it's hard to kill.<g>  Although it _is_ decorative,
this is one of the few plants that I no longer keep because it grows _too_
fast.  I just got tired of pulling out the machete every week!<g>  It makes
Water Sprite look like a slow grower!

Karen Randall
Aquatic Gardeners Association>>

It is indeed hard to kill, and seems to like emerged growth as much or more
than submerged. It doesn't just grow vertically either, mine form dense
baseball sized rootballs in no time, and can make quite a mess when
up-rooting. A couple years ago I stuck some cuttings in a pot w/dirt, set in
a bucket of water, and it grew like crazy all summer. I don't remember it
blooming tho. In the winter here it frosts a little and can stay in the low
30's (1-2 C) for a few weeks at a time, but it never completely died. In the
spring it took off with all new shoots. I'm surprised you don't see it in
stores more often.

It's about the only plant besides algae I've noticed my Ancistrus actually
eating. If I keep them well fed, they leave it alone, but they seem to like
the spongy leaves. It grows so fast tho, it hardly matters. Unless you want
to keep your Ancistus on a strict algae diet.

I'm curious where it's originally from, and has anyone had it bloom?

Kent
In Sacramento, CA